A Century of Cars: 74. Solido 1939 Delage D8-120
The D8 was introduced late in 1929 as a
replacement for the opulent Delage GLS, but in view of the range of
body types (and, subsequently, of engine sizes) with which it was
offered it can also be seen as a replacement for the some versions
of the Delage DM. Delage took a traditional view of its role as a
car producer, providing cars in bare chassis form to be bodied and
fitted out by prestigious bespoke builders such as Letourneur et
Marchand and Chapron operating in the Paris area. The D8 therefore
appeared, throughout its life, in a wide variety of elegant shapes.
The timing of the D8’s launch, with the European economy still reeling from the aftermath of the 1929 stock market crashes appears unfortunate, but cars at this level were never intended to sell in large numbers, and by taking sales from other top end auto-makers such as, in particular, Bugatti the D8 held its own and justified its manufacturer’s aspirations for it, becoming one of the best known products of what subsequently came to be known as a golden age for low-volume expensive and luxurious cars in France.