The Alfa Romeo 6C name was used on road, race, and sports cars produced
between 1927 and 1954 by Alfa Romeo; the "6C" name refers to the six
cylinders of the car's straight-six engine. Bodies for these cars were
made by coachbuilders such as James Young, Zagato, Touring Superleggera,
Castagna, and Pininfarina.
The 6C 1750 (1,752 cc actual) was introduced in 1929 in Rome. The car
had a top speed of 95 mph (153 km/h), a chassis designed to flex and
undulate over uneven surfaces, as well as sensitive geared-up steering.
It was produced in six series between 1929 and 1933. The base model had
a single overhead cam. Super Sport and Gran Sport versions had a double
overhead cam engine (DOHC). Again, a supercharger was available. Most of
the cars were sold as rolling chassis and bodied by coachbuilders such
as Zagato, and Touring Superleggera. Additionally there were 3 examples
built with James Young bodywork, one of which is a part of the permanent
collection at the Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum in Philadelphia,
PA, USA, in original and unrestored condition.
In 1929, the 6C won every major racing event in which it was entered,
including the Grands Prix of Belgium, Spain, Tunis and Monza, and the
Mille Miglia was won by Giuseppe Campari and Giulio Ramponi. The car
also won the Brooklands Double Twelve and the Ulster TT. In 1930 the car
again won the Mille Miglia and Spa 24 Hours. Total production was 2,635.
This diecast model by Minichamps was sourced from Warwick & Warwick
auctioneers in November 2019