O.S.C.A. was founded in 1947 by Ernesto Maserati (engineering manager)
and his two brothers Ettore, and Bindo (operations managers) who had all
left Maserati after their ten-year contract with Adolfo Orsi terminated.
Ten years earlier, in 1937, the remaining Maserati brothers had sold
their shares in the company to the Orsi family, who, in 1940, had
relocated the company headquarters to their hometown of Modena, where it
remains to this day.
The O.S.C.A. factory was located in San Lazzaro di Savena outside
Bologna, where Maserati were originally made 1926 to 1940. Their
basic business goal was to develop an automobile to compete in the 1,100
cc racing class.
O.S.C.A.'s first automobile was the MT4, for Maserati Tipo 4 cilindri.
The 1,092 cc engine, which produced (72 PS (53 kW; 71 hp) at 6,000 rpm,
had a FIAT-derived block, alloy head, and the bodywork was built as a
two-seater barchetta. The MT4 first raced in 1948 at the Pescara Circuit
and the Grand Prix of Naples, where it was driven to a win by Luigi
Villoresi. The engine was modified to 1,342 cc form (with 90 PS (66 kW;
89 hp) at 5,500 rpm) in 1949.
This diecast model
by Metro was acquired from a private collection in February 2020