During 1958 David Murray of Ecurie Ecosse had run beside his team's
remaining Jaguar D-Type and new Lister-Jaguar an early Tojeiro-Jaguar
UK-registered '7 GNO'. It had demonstrated sufficient promise for him to
commission Tojeiro Automotive Developments of Barkway, Royston,
Hertfordshire to build his team a more advanced new car for 1959. 'Wilkie'
Wilkinson was developing a new 3-litre version of the Jaguar XK engine
based upon the short-block 2.4-litre production unit, while senior
Ecosse mechanic Stan Sproat was seconded to TAD to help build and
prepare the new car. It was completed at Barkway and fitted with a
handsome new body crafted by Williams & Pritchard of Edmonton, London.
It had a neat nose line, D-Type like headrest and a vestigial tail fin,
and in search of maximum speed along the Mulsanne Straight at Le Mans
John Tojeiro fared-in the wheels as much as seemed sensible. The new car
its brand-new unpainted aluminium bodywork sparkling - was taken to
Ecurie Ecosse's famous headquarters in Merchiston Mews, Edinburgh for
finishing in time for its public racing debut in that June's Le Mans
24-Hour race. It was co-driven there by the team's double-winner
1956-57, Ron Flockhart, and John 'Jock' Lawrence and it went well,
running in fourth place for many laps and never lower than seventh.