In 1925, Bill Renwick, Augustus (Bert) Bertelli and investors including
Lady Charnwood took control of Aston Martin. They renamed it Aston
Martin Motors and moved it to the former Whitehead Aircraft Limited
Hanworth works in Feltham. Renwick and Bertelli had been in partnership
some years and had developed an overhead-cam four-cylinder engine using
Renwick's patented combustion chamber design, which they had tested in
an Enfield-Allday chassis. The only "Renwick and Bertelli" motor car
made, it was known as "Buzzbox" and still survives. The pair had planned
to sell their engine to motor manufacturers, but having heard that Aston
Martin was no longer in production realised they could capitalise on its
reputation to jump-start the production of a completely new car.
Between 1926 and 1937 Bertelli was both technical director and designer
of all new Aston Martins, since known as "Bertelli cars". They included
the 1½-litre "T-type", "International", "Le Mans", "MKII" and its racing
derivative, the "Ulster", and the 2-litre 15/98 and its racing
derivative, the "Speed Model". Most were open two-seater sports cars
bodied by Bert Bertelli's brother Enrico (Harry), with a small number of
long-chassis four-seater tourers, dropheads and saloons also produced.
Bertelli was a competent driver keen to race his cars, one of few
owner/manufacturer/drivers. The "LM" team cars were very successful in
national and international motor racing including at Le Mans.
This unidentified kit build (SMTS?) was completed and finished by Tony Smith of