The Borgward Isabella was a
medium-sized, two-door Sedan manufactured by the Bremen based
auto-manufacturer Carl F. W. Borgward GmbH from 1954-1962.
Initially, the car was badged like its predecessor as the Hansa
1500, but within the company it was known from the beginning by the
code name, Isabella (not after Carl Borgward's wife whose name was
Elisabeth). Cars produced after 1957 bore the ‘Isabella’ name,
inscribed eye catchingly within the rhombus at the centre of the
front grille: in retrospect, the car produced from 1954 is known as
the Isabella to differentiate it from the (first) Hansa 1500/1800
which the company produced from 1949-1954.