A Century of Cars: 21. Solido 1938 Jaguar SS100 Roadster
The SS100 was a British 2 seat sports
car built between 1936 and 1940 by SS Cars Ltd of Coventry, England.
The last one is thought to have been delivered in 1941. In 1936 the
name Jaguar was given to a new saloon car and from then on to all
the cars. Following World War II, due to the connotations then
attached to the initials SS, the company was renamed Jaguar.
The chassis with a wheelbase of 8 feet 8 inches (2.6 m) was essentially a shortened version of the one designed for the 2.5 litre saloon, a car produced in much greater numbers, and had first been seen in the SS 90 of 1935. Suspension was on half elliptical springs all round with rigid axles. The engine was a development of the old 2.5 litre Standard unit converted from side valve to overhead valve with a new cylinder head designed by William Heynes and Harry Weslake. The power output was increased from 70 bhp (52 kW) to 100 bhp (70 kW). Twin SU carburettors were bolted directly to the cylinder head. In 1938 the engine was further enlarged to 3.5 litres and the power increased to 125 bhp (93 kW). The four speed gearbox had synchromesh on the top 3 ratios. Brakes were by Girling. The complete car weighed just over 23 cwt (2600 pounds, 1150 kg).