Classic Sports Cars; 1960 MGA Coupe
The design dates back to 1952 when MG
created a streamlined body for George Philips' TD Le Mans car. The
problem with this car was the high seating position of the driver
because of the limitations of using the TD chassis. A new chassis
was designed with the side members further apart and the floor
attached to the bottom rather than the top of the frame sections.
A prototype was built and shown to the BMC chairman Leonard Lord. Lord turned down the idea of producing the new car as he had just signed a deal with Donald Healey to produce Austin-Healey cars two weeks before. Falling sales of the traditional MG models caused a change of mind and the car was brought back. As it was so different from the older MG models it was called the MGA, the "first of a new line" to quote the contemporary advertising.